MICA in California
Peter M. Cooke, MICA’s founder, teaches a series of four asbestos-related microscopy courses each Spring in Hayward, CA for the convenience of our West Coast and Pacific Rim clients.
MICA’s courses in California are held in the classroom facility of Forensic Analytical Laboratories, Inc., a consulting firm and analytical laboratory recognized as one of the highest quality industrial hygiene laboratories in the country. A tour of the laboratory is generally included as a part of each MICA course. NOTE: This is the only location where MICA offers our Quantitative Asbestos Analysis course.
If you’d like to do some sightseeing while in California, you’ll be glad to know that Hayward is across the bay from San Francisco, one of the most picturesque cities in the world.
MICA Course Tips
Here’s some information to help you plan for your MICA course:
- Class begins at 8:00 a.m. each morning and ends approximately 5:30 pm Monday through Thursday, and by 1:00 pm on Friday. If you plan to fly on Friday, it’s best to schedule your flight after 3:00 pm to allow sufficient time to get to the airport.
- We ask that you refrain from using cell phones during class. There is a break both in the morning and afternoon, as well as lunchtime. Your cooperation will make for a much more satisfying educational experience for all.
- Plan to spend approximately 1-2 hours on assigned reading each evening.
- In addition to morning and afternoon breaks, students have a 45-minute lunch period. Beverages and snacks are provided by MICA. Lunch is on your own, and is available at a variety of local venues.
- MICA supplies an individual microscope and all associated reading materials for each student. If you prefer to bring your own microscope, please let us know in advance.
- Certificates: If you have successfully completed the course and your tuition is paid, you will receive a MICA certificate at the conclusion of the course. Replacement certificates cost $20 and will be mailed to the laboratory that paid for the course.
3777 Depot Rd, #411
Hayward, CA 94545
MICA has negotiated a preferred rate for MICA students at LaQuinta Inn & Suites, which is located about 4 miles from the classroom site. The hotel offers wifi access, complimentary hot breakfast and happy-hour snacks. There are several restaurants within walking distance for dinner, as well a number of restaurants in downtown Hayward.
FREE SHUTTLE: The hotel provides free shuttle service within a 5-mile radius of the hotel, which includes both the classroom site and downtown Hayward. The shuttle runs from 7-10 each morning, and from 5-8 each evening.
To receive the MICA-preferred rate at LaQuinta Inn & Suites, you must make your reservation through Michael Boone at US1 Travel at (843) 410-1734. He can also help you with all your travel needs.
LaQuinta Inn & Suites
Other Hayward Hotels
450 West A
25921 Industrial Blvd.
Airports and Transportation
There are three airports that serve the San Francisco Bay area.
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is approximately 45 minutes northwest.
- Oakland International Airport (OAK) is approximately 20 minutes north of Hayward.
- San Jose International Airport (SJC) is approximately 55 minutes south.
Taxi service is available from the airport; SuperShuttle is also available. Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) is the public transportation service in the Bay Area.